Header Ads

2. Mastering the art of saying “no” : stressLess-life

Mastering the art of saying “no”

https://ift.tt/gN0dw94

For a long stretch of my life, I struggled to decline others' requests. When I did muster the courage to say "no," I often grappled with guilt. Reflecting on this, I recognize that my difficulty stemmed from low self-esteem. I was uncertain of who I was, what I wanted, or my core values. Even when a part of me had some clarity, I lacked the confidence to stand up for my beliefs. This inability to set boundaries caused significant discomfort and negative emotions when I tried to refuse requests.

Interestingly, I've found that boundaries and respect are interlinked. Establishing healthy boundaries often leads to respect from others. Without them, we're rarely taken seriously or treated as we deserve. Setting boundaries is a vital step in gaining respect for yourself. Many fear that saying no may offend or disappoint someone, leading to unfavorable impressions. However, the opposite is often true. When you master the art of declining requests gracefully, you command respect and attract individuals who resonate with your values.

So, how do we confidently say "no" to others?

Firstly, discern when to decline and when not to. If this decision-making process feels daunting, take it as a cue to enhance your self-awareness and understanding. My principle for refusal isn't grounded in personal preferences or ego but on my assessment of situations, activities, or individuals and their potential for mutual growth and healing. It's crucial to differentiate between "sacrifice" and "compromise." While setting boundaries involves finding a middle ground for compromise, it should never entail sacrificing oneself. When you relinquish parts of your being, you diminish your capacity to be of service to others.

Secondly, ascertain why you need to refuse certain requests. What motivates this need? Which aspect of yourself demands it? Your response can shed light on areas of your life that require healing and development. It's particularly essential to recognize feelings of reluctance when needing to say no. What's holding you back? Such instances might point to areas with conflicting intentions that demand clarity. My philosophy rests on the idea that refusals should be grounded in one's core values, not on societal norms or others' expectations. To garner respect from others, begin by respecting yourself. This entails gaining clarity on your values, adhering to them, and making informed decisions rooted in these values.

Once you've determined what to decline and why, strategize on how to communicate it. I advocate for the approach detailed in Non-Violent Communication. Begin by expressing your feelings using "I" statements, e.g., "I feel XYZ when this occurs." Then, clarify your needs with phrases like "I need XYZ." Try to be as specific as possible. Finally, propose a solution that seeks a common ground. Although you're making it clear that you're declining a request, suggest a mutually beneficial alternative. If the other party doesn't agree, that's perfectly alright. Proceed without coercion, and move on.

Written by Tracey Zhang, a personal growth coach who helps individuals heal, grow and thrive major life transitions.

submitted by /u/traceyzhang
[link] [comments]








Related links


I want to know the mind and emotions of a man towa. I want to understand what he is thinking and feeling at any given time. I want to know what makes him happy and what makes him sad. I want to know what he fears and what motivates him. I want to know his hopes and dreams. I want to know everything about him.


Addiction Is Messy, But These Things Help Me Stay Clean


5 Ways to Use Movement (Not Exercise) to Support Your Mental Health


My Second Mother: When Someone Steps Up Like Family Never Did


just sitting silently


How to Release the Fear That Holds You Back and Keeps You Small


What Happiness Means and How I’m Boosting My Day-to-Day Joy


why am i always in one-sided relationships


Psychological behaviour of husband with his wife who failed in love before marriage


What makes you dislike yourself?


When You’re Ready for Change: You Need to Believe in Your Future Self


4 Anxiety-Calming Techniques I Wish I Used When I Freaked Out on a Plane


What type of doctors experience the most stress?


Why is it significant to overcome stress?


How I Stopped Chasing Men Who Hurt Me and Found Healthy Love : #stressless


Stay Comfortable


I have irrational thoughts that she’s better than me


Skills That You Can Learn From (A2) Trying Harder Isn\\\'t Always The Answer:stressLess-life.


How do we know what we want in our lives?


5 Simple Yet Essential Self Care Tips That Can Change Your Life


#2 . How do I stop putting my worth based on how men see me? : stressLess-life


Self love challenge - looking for a group to join!


People-Pleasers Are Liars: 3 Things We Gain When We’re Honest Instead


How to Deal With Low Moods: A 4-Step Plan to Help You Feel Better


One words to define love story Hater





does depression affect sperm quality


What is the difference between stress and emotions? The WHO has defined them as two different life skills and I am not able to make a difference.


What are some signs that show a lack of confidence in a person's speech or behavior?


Is it good to live hubby without love or marry to BF?


growing up as the only black member of a white family movie


separation anxiety mother symptoms


why self-love and self-care is important


I am very sad every day. I have decided not to live. What should I do?


why am i losing interest in things i used to love


never waste your feelings on someone who doesn't value your emotions meaning in hindi


I am very sad every day. I have decided not to live. What should I do?


Why is it significant to overcome stress?

Can-I-reduce-my-stress?

https://stressless-2021.blogspot.com/2022/06/reduce-my-stress.html

Getting Out Of A Slump

Me Exercising/dancing to Unbelievable by EMF. Not too great, but started doing this at 57 yrs......truly my inner child is coming out to play!:stressLess-life

Abandonment Issues



Increasing and practicing self worth and self love:stressLess-life

(A2) LIFE AND LOVE???:stressLess-life

Neon Genesis Evangelion and validating ones own existence:stressLess-life

Calmed myself down with loving energy.:stressLess-life

"Why do you forgive everyone but yourself?”:stressLess-life

How to accept belly fat?:stressLess-life



admiring myself all 2022 ??:stressLess-life



Self love feels so lonely:stressLess-life



Increasing and practicing self worth and self love:stressLess-life

(A2) LIFE AND LOVE???:stressLess-life

Neon Genesis Evangelion and validating ones own existence:stressLess-life

Calmed myself down with loving energy.:stressLess-life

"Why do you forgive everyone but yourself?”:stressLess-life

How to accept belly fat?:stressLess-life



admiring myself all 2022 ??:stressLess-life



Self love feels so lonely:stressLess-life









😄 " Forget the past; look forward to the future, for the best things are yet to come. ..... "

No comments

please ,
Don't enter span link..

Powered by Blogger.