Header Ads

2. You can't see your own face. That's why "love yourself first" never took for you. : stressLess-life

You can't see your own face. That's why "love yourself first" never took for you.

I work nights at a shelter and have for about four and a half years, so most of what I got here I picked up sitting in a hallway at 3am, not out of a book. Fair warning.

Everybody and their dog tells you the same thing. Love yourself first. Heal your own wounds. Be your own best friend. Buy the journal, do the affirmations, keep at it.

For some folks that works fine. For a whole lot of others it just don't, no matter how many books they get through, and then they figure they're the problem. Too broken, too lazy, too far gone.

Nah. It ain't about being weak. It's about where you're standing.

You can't see your own face.

Not cause you're dumb. Cause you're behind your own eyes. An eye sees everything except itself. You want to know what your face looks like, trying harder ain't gonna do it. You need a mirror, or somebody standing across from you.

Wounds work the same way.

Two kids, same wreck, same street, same day. Twenty years later one of em tells it as a story at dinner and laughs about it. The other one's still carrying it around and don't even have words for it. Wasn't that one kid was tougher. Difference is whether somebody was standing there next to him who saw it and said out loud what it was.

If nobody was there, it never got closed. And it can't get closed from the inside, cause the fella inside it is the one who can't read it.

So here's what nobody says. When self help does work for somebody, most of the time it's cause they're laying back down in something somebody else built for em a long time ago. Somebody held em once and there's still a shape left over from it. That's real, I'm not knocking it. But if you never got that first time, telling you to heal yourself is telling you to look at the back of your own head without a mirror. Thinking on it don't close it. Thinking just runs.

The voice that ain't yours

Other thing we get wrong. That voice up there that runs you down.

Most of what you read says every voice in your head is a piece of you, and you gotta accept it and work it in. Half the time that's dead right. Half the time it ain't.

Two different things going on in there:

  1. A piece of you that got shoved down. Your anger, your grief, whatever you weren't allowed to have. That one comes home. Where it ends up is "this is mine."
  2. A voice you swallowed off somebody else. Your dad, a coach, a preacher, some bully from the 7th grade. That one talks with your mouth and says "I" and it ain't you. Where it ends up is "this ain't mine."

Might look like the same work from the outside, but those two end up in opposite places. And you don't sit down and negotiate with a squatter. Man's in your house wanting the whole house, you don't make peace with him, you put him out.

Dirty part is this. From the inside they feel exactly the same. Same shame, same knot in your stomach. You can't sort out which one you got by yourself, and it ain't for lack of trying, it's cause you're in the room. Takes somebody standing outside to look at you and go "that ain't you talking, that's your daddy."

Two jobs, not one

And this is where most advice quits early. Somebody reading you and somebody carrying you are two different jobs.

A mirror reads you. Tells you what's there that you can't see on your own. But a mirror don't do nothing past that. It ain't gonna stand out there with you while it's raining on you. That's the other job and it takes a person who can get wet too.

So what do you actually do

This is the part I hate telling people, cause it's slow and there's no trick to it.

You can't order that person off the internet. Can't schedule it. And it don't happen cause somebody explains to you that you're safe now, cause the part of you standing guard don't read words. It counts. It counts up how many times somebody was there and didn't want nothing back for it.

I've watched this. Same hallway, same night, sit down with two guys. One of em opens up. Other one's shut, and you do the exact same thing and get nothing. Ain't a thing wrong with the second guy. There just ain't nothing built yet. And the only way it gets built is showing up over and over, boring as hell, nothing happening.

Which means a night where nothing happened wasn't a wasted night. Took me a long time to figure that out.

Anyway. If working on yourself never took for you, you ain't broken. You been handed a job that can't be done from where you're standing.

Edit: to be clear I'm not saying don't go to therapy or don't read the books. I'm saying if it never landed, quit reading that as a verdict on you.

submitted by /u/izi_convertible
[link] [comments]








Related links


I want to know the mind and emotions of a man towa. I want to understand what he is thinking and feeling at any given time. I want to know what makes him happy and what makes him sad. I want to know what he fears and what motivates him. I want to know his hopes and dreams. I want to know everything about him.


Addiction Is Messy, But These Things Help Me Stay Clean


5 Ways to Use Movement (Not Exercise) to Support Your Mental Health


My Second Mother: When Someone Steps Up Like Family Never Did


just sitting silently


How to Release the Fear That Holds You Back and Keeps You Small


What Happiness Means and How I’m Boosting My Day-to-Day Joy


why am i always in one-sided relationships


Psychological behaviour of husband with his wife who failed in love before marriage


What makes you dislike yourself?


When You’re Ready for Change: You Need to Believe in Your Future Self


4 Anxiety-Calming Techniques I Wish I Used When I Freaked Out on a Plane


What type of doctors experience the most stress?


Why is it significant to overcome stress?


How I Stopped Chasing Men Who Hurt Me and Found Healthy Love : #stressless


Stay Comfortable


I have irrational thoughts that she’s better than me


Skills That You Can Learn From (A2) Trying Harder Isn\\\'t Always The Answer:stressLess-life.


How do we know what we want in our lives?


5 Simple Yet Essential Self Care Tips That Can Change Your Life


#2 . How do I stop putting my worth based on how men see me? : stressLess-life


Self love challenge - looking for a group to join!


People-Pleasers Are Liars: 3 Things We Gain When We’re Honest Instead


How to Deal With Low Moods: A 4-Step Plan to Help You Feel Better


One words to define love story Hater





does depression affect sperm quality


What is the difference between stress and emotions? The WHO has defined them as two different life skills and I am not able to make a difference.


What are some signs that show a lack of confidence in a person's speech or behavior?


Is it good to live hubby without love or marry to BF?


growing up as the only black member of a white family movie


separation anxiety mother symptoms


why self-love and self-care is important


I am very sad every day. I have decided not to live. What should I do?


why am i losing interest in things i used to love


never waste your feelings on someone who doesn't value your emotions meaning in hindi


I am very sad every day. I have decided not to live. What should I do?


Why is it significant to overcome stress?

Can-I-reduce-my-stress?

https://stressless-2021.blogspot.com/2022/06/reduce-my-stress.html

Getting Out Of A Slump

Me Exercising/dancing to Unbelievable by EMF. Not too great, but started doing this at 57 yrs......truly my inner child is coming out to play!:stressLess-life

Abandonment Issues



Increasing and practicing self worth and self love:stressLess-life

(A2) LIFE AND LOVE???:stressLess-life

Neon Genesis Evangelion and validating ones own existence:stressLess-life

Calmed myself down with loving energy.:stressLess-life

"Why do you forgive everyone but yourself?”:stressLess-life

How to accept belly fat?:stressLess-life



admiring myself all 2022 ??:stressLess-life



Self love feels so lonely:stressLess-life



Increasing and practicing self worth and self love:stressLess-life

(A2) LIFE AND LOVE???:stressLess-life

Neon Genesis Evangelion and validating ones own existence:stressLess-life

Calmed myself down with loving energy.:stressLess-life

"Why do you forgive everyone but yourself?”:stressLess-life

How to accept belly fat?:stressLess-life



admiring myself all 2022 ??:stressLess-life



Self love feels so lonely:stressLess-life









😄 " Forget the past; look forward to the future, for the best things are yet to come. ..... "

No comments

please ,
Don't enter span link..

Powered by Blogger.